Sevenstep Team | May 27, 2020
There are two constants in talent acquisition today: 1. The market is always changing, and 2. Everything is hard to fill.
Regardless of whether an organization is downsizing, in a hiring freeze, or ramping up due to COVID-19, the needs that existed before the virus hit likely still exist today. Or, perhaps there are new or changing needs within the organization. Regardless of which category a company falls under, everyone must plan and prepare for the future and for the inevitable rebound – because it is coming.
In the spirit of this, Sevenstep Vice President Yates Baker was recently the guest speaker for an HCI webcast, “Everything is Hard to Fill, So Where Do We Go From Here?”
In addition to covering the current state of the talent market, how to set up and equip TA teams effectively, and providing strategies on where to go from here, Yates engaged with the audience in a Q&A session at the end of the webcast and also took the opportunity to poll attendees throughout the presentation.
Here’s what we found:
- When asked, “What do you attribute to your positions being hard-to-fill today?”, the majority (49%) of senior HR and TA leaders who attended the webcast said skill set – and that there simply are not enough candidates with the skills or experience they need. This was followed by unemployment (27%) – and the fact that despite COVID-19, HR and TA leaders are finding it is still to be a tight candidate market in their respective sectors.
- Surprisingly, however, when asked whether or not TA teams are equipped to effectively staff hard-to-fill positions, an overwhelming majority (71%) said yes, with the leading contributing factor to their being well-equipped being the tools and technology (61%) they have access to followed by training (22%).
Have a listen to the full recording where Yates covers what defines hard-to-fill recruiting and the solutions to overcome what makes it so challenging, including:
- EVP and micro-EVP
- Internal mobility, training and productivity
- Building a sustainable talent community, including leveraging products like a direct sourcing model
- Talent and business intelligence – and the need for better data and comprehensive insights